Meteor Madness !

Meteor Madness !

Friday 14 October 2016

The Meteors - Gigs 1980

THE METEORS & ME ! 

NIGEL LEWIS - VOCALS / BASS .
P. PAUL FENECH - VOCALS / GUITAR.
MARK ROBERTSON - DRUMS.

The most influential band that ever came into my life !

In this blog, you'll find gig info, dates, venues, photo's (where I can find em') , Gonna start with the year 1980. I will also be outlining my teenage life and how this truly great band changed me forever !


I never got to see the original line-up of Fenech, Lewis and Robertson (I was only 12 in 1980 ) but i have admired and collected any info on the trio from the early days right through to late 1985 that's when I stopped following them and made the step into the London Rockin' scene . 

If you love the early Meteors sound like me , then you know all the info so I wont be going through all that again as it has been well documented from the Raw Deal days into what we now realise was the birth of Psychobilly (Briefly before going with the band name The Meteors they were going to be called 'The Hex' but wisely changed it ).........forget the Cramps ......these boys had an upright Bass and they were British !!!!!

I was originally born in Putney, West London in 1967 and by 1969 my family had moved to Whitton, Middlesex, this was suburbia , this was my outer London life. So by age fourteen I was just getting into music and films , I was really into 1950's Rock 'N' Roll and I loved the old Universal and Hammer horror films and was getting my weekly fix of these with the horror double bills on a Saturday night on BBC2 , this was my little slice of suburban terror heaven . So it was without doubt this mix of Hammer Horror films and 50's rockin' music (you know the usual stuff, Elvis, Eddie & Gene, Carl Perkins)  that got my early teenage life kicking and screamin' into the 80's .

Saw point, but this is me - Summer 1981 - Age 13

So, I had the beginnings of a quiff, in 1981, bought myself 'Rock On With Gene Vincent' and listening to The Polecats and Jets .......but ! ....there was something missing, something not quite right, it was still good stuff, but I needed more, something different. Then by chance one afternoon in early 1982, me and Dave went to see this guy called Pete Clarke , he was in Dave's year at School, he was a rockabilly, wore Eton shoes and had a flat top . So we went into his parents house he started playing the EP 'Meteor Madness' ......... I was hooked , I must have got him to play that thing ten times, then he said "if you like that you'll love this" .....BAM !!! he then spins 'Radioactive Kid' and that was it , it was done, it was sorted, I needed these records, I needed to listen to every word. I remember me and Dave walking home that day singing 'Voodoo Rhythm' over and over again as we didn't wanna forget the tune. So finally my love for Rockabilly music and horror films had collided head on, it was perfect , was just like a massive Meteor hitting the earth ......Meteor Madness had got me !
Dave & Me -  Early 1982

But this was early 1982 (prob April/May) and without even realising it, this original line up had already split, I had missed the boat BIG TIME !!!! I had missed three singles, a 12" EP and one album 'In Heaven' !!!!! what a joke, how did this happen ? I did not have a clue about this until the following week, when I went to Kingston to try and buy the two records that I knew. My shop of choice was 'Beggars Banquet' , who were known as fine purveyors of Indie, Punk & just a little Rockabilly vinyl . The 1st EP and 'Radioactive Kid/ Graveyard Stomp' single were soon in my hands and I was itching to get home and play these things to death .......but wait, sitting there looking at me was this other 45, big green monster face, pink background with The Meteors written in bold purple type ......I checked the back details and there was no Nigel, no Mark only Paul remained , confused I sure was, the same band, different line up .......what was going on ? anyway , I remember I couldn't afford to buy this 'Mutant Rock' 45 , pocket money was tight in those days ! so it would have to wait till next week .


Anyway, enough about me for now, more about The Meteors & Me in the 1981 gig blog .
So here we go .....The Meteors - The Gigs 1980.

13 gigs in total with 7 Shows in supporting Levei Dexter & The Rip Chords !!

1980 also saw the first ever Meteors recordings. Released sometime in October 1980 'Home Grown Rockabilly' compilation on the Aligator label by owner Colin Silcocks. Three songs were recorded and all sung by Paul  ' Go Away', Crazy Love' & 'My Baby Loves Me (Yes She Does).



 GIGS -  1980 

1  - Friday 25th July - The Sparrow Hawk Pub , Edgware , Middx.

All photo's below thanks to Stewart Rhodes.


The Meteors - 1st Gig © Bob Gilbert.
Nigel Lewis - 25/07/80 Photo © Bob Gilbert.

Flyer © Nick Garrard 
The Meteors - 1st gig © Bob Gilbert





2  - Tues 30th Aug - 'Cinderella's' The Cavern , Willesden.


2nd Gig - Tues 30/08/80


3  - Mon 29th Sept - The Venue , London + Levi Dexter + The Polecats

The Venue

5 - Sat 4th Oct - Music Machine, Camden Town, London.


Meteors Set - Honey Roll (P), Can't Keep A Good Man Down (N), Baby Blue Eyes (P), Long Blonde Hair (P), Crazy Love (P), Domino (P), Sitting By Myself (P), Drowning All My Sorrows (P), Wildkat Ways (N), Crazy, Crazy Lovin' (N).


Photo © Stewart Rhodes (The Prof)

Photo © Stewart Rhodes (The Prof)

Sat 4th Oct - Music Machine - Photo © Stewart Rhodes

5 - Thurs 9th Oct - Dingwalls, Camden + Levi & the Ripchords


Meteors were added to support on the Levi show

6  - Sat 11th Oct - UCL, London + Levi Dexter.
7  - Mon 13th Oct - Southbank Poly, London + Levi Dexter.

Flyer courtesy Johna Johnson.

8 - Wed 15th Oct - The Clarendon Hotel, London + Levi Dexter.

The Clarendon Hotel, Hammersmith, London.

9  - Thur 16th Oct - Hope & Anchor, London.

Hope & Anchor Pub.

10  - Mon 20th Oct - 101 Club, Clapham, South London.

101 Club, Clapham, London.
Thur 23rd Oct - Teddington Lock, Middx. ( White Light Thames TV recording date )

11 - Fri 24th Oct - Music Machine, Camden, London + Levi & The Ripchords 


Music Machine, Camden, London.


# - 27th Oct - White Light - Thames TV Show was aired.

All three photo's below © Chris Shearwood 

Two songs were aired . A shortened version of 'Love Me' by Nigel to open the show and 'Ain't Takin' A Chance' sung by Paul . 'Maniac Rockers from Hell' was dropped because of it's demonic sentiment and was deemed to risque for a tea time TV show . 

Paul Fenech & Mark Robertson - White Light - Thames TV.
Nigel Lewis - White Light - Thames TV
Mark Robertson - White Light - Thames TV

12 - Thurs 6th Nov - Gaz's Rockin' Blues, Dean Street, London.


It was in Nov 1980 that the band produced a demo album for EMI. Sixteen tracks were recorded but these were never offically released until 2004 by Raucous on CD and again on vinyl in 2016 on the Raucous Label on two 10" vinyl records. The songs were.

I Don't Worrry About It (P), Your Wildkat Ways (N), Maniac (P), You Can't Keep A Good Man Down (N), Ain't Takin' A Chance (P), The Room (N), Psycho For Your Love (P), Love Me (N), Red Headed Woman (P), Long Blonde Hair (P), Haunt You Baby Rock (N), Your Baby Blue Eyes (P), Honey Roll (P), Domino (P), Drowning All My Sorrows (P), Crazy, Crazy Lovin' (N)

13 - Mon 29th Dec - Dingwalls, London + Levi Dexter & Ripchords


Coming soon - the 1981 Meteors gig list and much much more ! 


5 comments:

  1. Great blog! I have a set of A4 photos from that 1st gig on this blog post. Given to me by a friend many years ago so good to know the history of the photo set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fry Up Inspector, much appreciated, these early days of the band need to be remembered, so hopefully I've got most details correct .

      Delete
    2. I started listening to The Meteors in 1987 so it's fascinating to hear about the history before then. I can remember my dad working at the Feltham Football Club bar when they played there in the early 80's, my brother and sister both went along to see them. I was only about 10 then though! Looking forward to reading more, keep up the good work!

      Delete
    3. My first Meteors gig was at Feltham FC on 23rd March 84, that was one night I wont forget in a hurry, it had an uneasy atmosphere all night, the whole place was on a knife edge, loads of fights all over the place .....manic !!!

      Delete
  2. Love your blog. Funnily enough same thing happened to me. I was 12 when the original line up broke up. A mates older brother played me the first singles and albums but when I went to buy In Heaven the Mutant Rock single had just come out. Mutant Rock is still my favourite ever pyscho record. Side quest. My mate who's older brother switched me on to them, Howard Raucous of Raucous Records.
    Cheers mate. Great blog

    ReplyDelete